ASBAs are a great option if you wish to enter the workforce and remain at school. The program offers you a chance to get a head start in the industry you choose whilst completing the last two or three years of your education. They are ideally suited for VCAL students meeting the VET and Structured Workplace Learning requirements for the certificate
How does ASBA work?
- Be enrolled in year 10, VCE or VCAL studies (subject to your schools policy)
- Sign a Training Agreement, together with the employer and your parents
- Gain part-time employment
- Attend TAFE or other Registered Training Organisation (RTO) one day a week, after school or block release.
- Commit to 10-15 hours per week in work and training.
Who is eligible to be an Australian School Based Apprentice?
- Students 15 years of age or over who are permanent residents of Australia.
- Students who attend school and are wishing to complete their secondary studies.
- Students who are prepared to commit a minimum of 15 hours a week in work and training.
- Students who are available during the school week.
- Students in Years 10, 11 & 12.
- Students who can manage their time between three settings: school, work and training.
What are the rewards for students?
- Great career prospects
- A Certificate that is recognised all over Australia
- Getting paid for training
- Gaining Credits towards your VCE, VCAL and/ or full time new apprenticeships
- Finish secondary school with two certificates (eg. Certificate II in Retail and VCE or VCAL)
- Improved employment opportunities.